Hi! I'm a creative coder and generative artist from the South of France. I love jamming with code and math concepts.
I did a "classe préparatoire aux grandes écoles" in physics and chemistry then became a computer science engineer in 2008. I've code for more than 20 years.
I'd been Back end developer, mainly in Ruby on Rails for many years. Then, I have been an entrepreneur for 10 years.
Evolution in generative art
I love to have an hobby and spend a lot of time on it. Just before generative art, I was into music producing and wanted a more "improvised" hobby (I could spend 100 hours on a track). So I asked to a friend artist to teach me to draw. Very quickly, my focus changed : draw with pen and paper => iPad + Procreate => creative coding with p5
I started to be focused on creative coding at the end of September 2021. It reminded me generative music I was doing with synths, modular synths or even with code (with tools like Tidal Cycles, Sonic PI...). I started to watch creative coding libraries, main artists, follow people on instagram... I loved it and spend so much time on it (and it hasn't stop!)
Shortly after I learned p5. I started to publish my first works on Instagram. When I was watching Instagram profiles of generative artists I like, they very often had a link to foundation or HEN. I've no idea of what it was but I started to watch deeply.
I continued to learn then try to play with Hic et Nunc then mint my first piece. I followed HEN Discord recommendations and it sold out... and that wasn't expected at all! I loved to work on that simple piece, people seemed to like too... so I did it again. I learned a lot about NFT, genart, community... had fails... but learned a lot!
Then some people started to tell me "you should try fxhash, it's very new, and it should be perfect for you" at the end of 2021. After listening that multiple times, I watched what it is, and loved the concept. So I worked on my first fxhash project, SEA, the 85th project on fxhash and my first generative art project on blockchain.
I delved deeper into the realm of generative art, experimenting with various techniques, concepts and algorithms. Over time, I released 15 projects on fxhash, including ARTERIA, earning the distinction of "Icon" by Tender.
Subsequently, I launched Folradura on 256art, my first drop on Ethereum. This project explored the fusion of mathematics, physics, noise, and randomness to craft organic patterns. Central to its design was the use of local modifiers, which influenced a grid of points, resulting in intricate designs.
I also minted some 1/1 on SuperRare thanks to the New French Touch space.
In March 2023, I had the honor of being the Artist in Residence at Bright Moments, marking the release of Intricada. This project gained international recognition, with showcases in global cities like New York, London, Mexico, and Tokyo, all thanks to Bright Moments.
Later, I collaborated with Matthieu Segret on The Source. Initiated in July 2022, this project drew inspiration from the mesmerizing beauty of water and its reflections from diverse global locales. After a year of brainstorming, coding, and perfecting, our dedication was rewarded with a unanimous endorsement from gm.studio's curation panel. This led to the grand release of The Source on July 31st, 2023 to gm.studio.
I like to jam with code like I'm used to do with music jam or improvisational theatre. I like to improvise without knowing where I am going.
Usually I start with a concept inspired my math or physics than I'm playing with it until the aesthetic arrives. I like to begin with an sketch and live tweet all the steps like this:
SELECTED FEATURES, PRESS MENTIONS, INTERVIEWS
- August 15, 2023: He is chatting on the Space #47 of the The Angels' Wing Podcast
- July 26, 2023: He is interviewed with Matthieu in the NFTMorning (famous French podcast about NFTs) in the episode 533 to speak about The Source.
- July 26, 2023: He is interviewed in the Polymath experience podcast to talk about my journey as coder, then entrepreneur and now also generative art artist
- March 2, 2023: He is interviewed by the NFTMorning (famous French podcast about NFTs) in the episode 447 as artist of the week: Camille x Bright Moments: Le drop Intricada
- October 3, 2022: Interview on RobertSpotlight, Le parcours NFT de Camille Roux
- June 20, 2022: Interview video on 256ART
- May 10, 2022: Interview on GatherArt
- April 13, 2022: BRIDGE is one of 3 projects used as exemple in "GENERATIVE ART AND THE DECENTRALIZATION OF CREATIVITY" by Right Click Save
- March 27, 2022: WaitingToBeSigned talks about CIRCULAR MURMURATIONS in the episode 12 of their podcast
- March 1st, 2022: "Camille Roux Joined Forces to Code Bridges" in the Kaloh's blog
- Feb 28, 2022: UNDRGRND present the work in DIGS 014
- Feb 27, 2022: WaitingToBeSigned talks about the BRIDGE project in the episode 8 of their podcast
- Jan 23, 2022: Circular Murmurations is mentioned in the episode 3 of the WaitingToBeSigned podcast
- Jan 4, 2022: Murmurations is mentioned in "Fascinating FxHash NFTs Flying Under The Radar" in the Kaloh's blog
- Dec 7, 2021: Camille Roux is listed as one of the "8 Exciting FxHash NFT Artists You Need To See" in the Kaloh's blog
- Dec 27, 2021: Murmurations is selected as part of the "Icons" of fxhash by FxTender
- Nov 22, 2021: He is interviewed by the NFTMorning (famous French podcast about NFTs) in the episode 160 as artist of the week: "L'artiste de la semaine : Camille Roux, artiste génératif sur Tezos"