Intricada means ‘interlaced’ in Old Occitan, a Romance language spoken in the south of France. This project explores the balance between emergence and control.
Intricada is a open edition long-form generative series released on Bright Moments in March 2023.
Intricada is created with autonomous agents, like ARTERIA, drawing very small dots and following simple rules, positioned according to geometrical patterns.
I’ve designed Intricada like a simulation, giving initial conditions and see what comes out of it.
Each piece is the result of thousands of unpredictable consequences.
This collection includes a very large number of possible variations. Some properties are specific to the agents and allow to define their rules, colors, number of children, angle… Many parameters influence the initial position and direction of the agents, palettes (more than 30)…
Each combinaison creates a very unique output.
From far and near
From a distance, an Intricada piece may look like intersecting circles, geometric patterns, confetti, a perspective design...
When you get closer, you can see that these shapes are composed of multitudes of agent trajectories.
Finally, if we get even closer, we can see that these trajectories are composed of points (several hundreds of thousands per output).
Intricada is based on a main concept: autonomous agents. When you watch the rendering of an Intricada piece, you can enjoy the very satisfying building animation. It also helps to understand how each piece is made.
First, you see the main agents being born, then see them move according to the rule they have been assigned, have children from time to time or stop if they meet the path of another agent.
Here is an explanation of the different features of Intricada:
- Palette: Unsurprisingly, this is the color palette. By the way, you'll recognize some palettes of previous projects: Classic (used on my fxhash projects), some Rainbow (used on Folradura)...
- Palette Subset: This defines the subset of colors that will be used.
- Rule: This define how the agents move (Sine, Rotation, Spiral or None)
- Colors Mode: This defines are the colors are set to agents.
- Agent Count: Main agents always appear in group. This defines how many agents there are per group.
- Symmetric Agents: If true, all agents have a symmetric agent that go in the opposite way.
- Recursion Level: This defines which level of agents can have children.
- Circle Mode: Main agents always born in group distributed around a point. Theses "groups" of groups can be them self distributed around a point (Circle) or in grid (Grid).
- Circle Count: If the Circle Mode is Circle, this represent the number the number of repetition around the center.
- Open Edition, 270 editions minted
- Can only be minted IRL at a Bright Moments gallery
- Mint period: March 2023
- Author: Camille Roux
- Due to the technique used, small differences may occur depending on the browser. The project was mainly tested on the latest versions of Chrome/Brave.